Saturday, October 22, 2005

english teacher fun

I'm going to try something that I learned from my cooperating teacher in B.C. and I think is quite clever. Feel free to do the exercise with me if you want to have fun too. Here are the steps:
1. Take a piece of paper (you can use your computer too) and divide it in half. In that half a page, write a story about something you've experienced.
2. When you finish your story, number the lines 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc.
3. Go through your story and copy all the 1 lines first, then the 2 lines, then the 3 lines in a long column.
4. try to make a poem out of what you've got.

I have not yet written my story, but I will do so in the next day or two and post it on here. Then I'll post the scrambled version, then hopefully I'll get something resembling poetry at the end. Who wants to play?

3 comments:

beka said...

Dear Margaret,
The other day I decided to have a baking fest and out of my cookbook fell the Urban Peasant house rules… That year held some of my favorite days. Sometimes I read your blog and (obviously) don’t comment because really I don’t know what to say. Life gets so complicated sometimes. I just want to tell you that I’m glad we lived together and I miss those bathroom conversations.

Sara said...

yes, those were the days...
Someday Margaret will get a teaching job here and Beka will decide she wants to study here or buy a pottery studio and then we will all be reunited and live happily ever after, in our Urban Peasant commune.

I want to play the poetry game! I will do it in a little while.

Margaret said...

Good, Sara. I haven't written it yet . . . will soon, I promise. Yes, the days of the Urban Peasant were rather idyllic. And we had rules! Bathrooms are the best places for conversations.