Setting: 7th period geography class where the students are researching in partners for a state book project. They have to find out a bunch of information about a state that I assigned them, and then make a state book. (I did not make the assignment--just doing what I'm told. I would change the assignment drastically if I were in charge, but I'm not.) We have a set of 20 laptops so that they can research online in the classroom. On Tuesday we discussed the importance of summarizing rather than plagiarizing information.
Characters:
Miss Den Boer, the much loved student teacher who will soon be retiring from her role.
Trenton, who recently wrote the following letter to Miss Den Boer: "To Miss Den Boer. I don't really want you to leave. You are the best student teacher ever." (Well, I told them to write me a letter if they finished early . . . . )
Jake: probably the jolliest person I've ever met. Also incredibly hard to keep on task.
Scene 1:
Trenton: "Miss Den Boer, can I copy and paste this information into my state book?"
Miss Den Boer: "No Trenton, you can't. If you did, what would that be?"
Trenton: "um . . . " Trenton scratches his head for a couple seconds, "pornography?"
Miss Den Boer laughs uncontrollably while Trenton looks a little embarassed until he figures out that he should have said plagiarism, at which point he turns quite red. Jake gladly joins in the merriment.
Kids. Ya gotta love them.
4 comments:
You are making me very excited to student teach middle schoolers....
is sarah still alive?
when does will this play be published/ performed?
Kids are fantastic. We should all be like them.
Nope, she died. :)
Post a Comment