So we're back from Victoria. A good time was had by all. We absolutely loved Victoria, (minus the tourists) and want to move there. We also spent a few nights camping at Qualicum Falls, which is a bit farther north on the Island. That was fun, except for the fact that Scott is not a very good camper. Things went better once we got a flashlight that he could shine at things when they made noises during the night. It's beautiful out there.
We went to a local farmer's stand, called Wong's, yesterday to buy our produce. Scott was amazed that a large box of fruits and vegetables cost only $30. Wong's now has our loyal support. It was fun to go there because I remember spending a lot of time there as a kid.
I've been doing a bit of research this morning, and I think that we're going to be looking into joining a C.S.A this coming year. What's a C.S.A? Well, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, you buy a share in a farm, and then you get weekly produce from it during the growing season (usually about 20 weeks in this region.) The advantage is that all of your produce is grown locally and organically. The disadvantage is that you don't get to pick what you get--you get a share of whatever is in season at the time, which is also kind of cool, if you think about it. It looks like in this area a share is usually about $500, which if you divide over 20 weeks, is only $25 a week--a lot less than what you'll pay if you buy your produce at a grocery store. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have been part of a C.S.A? Did you like it? What were the advantages and disadvantages? Should we do it?
We're going to the zoo with the other B.C Vande Kraatses today. Fun! I'm excited to see what Oliver makes of the animals.
5 comments:
Hey Margaret,
My roommate from Dordt (and her husband, I think) runs a CSA on the East Coast. She might have some good info for you. If you want to contact her let me know and I'll fire you her email address or her blog at least...
Glad to hear you had fun on the island.
Hi, Margaret,
I'm a measly few miles south of you right now! We should get together before I start school on the 29th. Your parents gave me my gift last Sunday--it's beautiful! Thanks! Let me know about hanging out/biking!
i'd forgotten about scott's humorous fear for rustling in the woods. did you guys camp on the edge of a cliff? cause i bet that would be awesome...
we've been doing a CSA for 3 years now (ours offers a winter share as well) and we love it. The first year is the hardest because you have to find recipes that you like for the food you've never eaten but your tastebuds adjust and you grow to love the new seasonal food. This year, when we got our first swiss chard, we both rejoiced!
just a quickie...
congrats on the wedding! wish i coulda been there! you guys look great together. :) enjoy marriage!
cheers!
Post a Comment