- The Lightning Thief by Percy Jackson
- The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas by John Boyne
- Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
A few books that I've run into in my search for good ideas or inspiration:
- The Schwa Was Here by Neal Schusterman
- Chew on This by Eric Schlosser
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Mechanically Inclined and Everyday Editing by Jeff Anderson
That's a start, at least. I have about 13 books reserved at the library, so I can get started as soon as they come!
I recently read A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket and Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I enjoyed both--they were nice, easy reads and would work well for read-aloud. I could see reading A Series of Unfortunate Events in a class period or two near the end of the year when everyone is tired and just needs to escape into a book. Stargirl I thought was lovely and sad.
My major project for the summer? Get ready to teach Canadian History in the fall!
What are you reading?
4 comments:
Love your blog, Margaret! Sorry, I'm a lurker on your site -- we are connected by mutual friends' sites. Thanks for the suggested titles - I'm teaching adolescent lit this fall so I've been saturating myself in YA books this summer. Here are some other good titles:
Marcelo in the real world- F. Stork
mockingbird - Erkstine
Nothing pink - M. Hardy
Speak - L Anderson
I'd love to chat more with you about this -- happy reading!!
Hey Margaret! I've been reading through Lord of the Rings and am just about finished with The Two Towers. Such wonderful books! Laura's been reading Radical Homemakers.
Hello Pat! It's nice to see you here, and don't worry about lurking, you're welcome to read and visit anytime.
One of my students was really into Anderson's books this past semester, and I recall that she wrote about Speak. I've also read Fever 1793 by her, and have Wintergirls on another reading, list as well. Thanks for your other recommendations. For some reason I never grew out of YA Lit (how fun that you get to teach it!), so I really enjoy getting to discuss good books with my students.
Neal, you're in good company--LOTR is great!
I'm reading The Road right now. And after that Moby Dick.
Post a Comment