Monday, October 23, 2006

new yob

I acquired another job last week. I'm going to be teaching an ESL class of about 10 students for an hour after school two days a week. I'm hoping that it won't mean lots of extra work. I'm excited to be part of the developing ESL program at our school (it's been a long time coming) and to get to know some of these kids more. The thing is that most of these students are pretty intent on learning English, so motivation won't be a problem. Getting them to understand what I'm saying to them, on the other hand, might.

I had the beginnings of an interesting discussion about North Korea with my new Korean student, Choi, today. I asked him if he was from North or South Korea, and he kind of laughed at me. I guess I should know better. But you have to start somewhere with asking questions, right?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a fun new yob.
yust don't ask them if they're communist and you should be yust fine.

Gabriel Florit said...

so, north or south?

maybe you should be more observant, margo, and casually comment on the fashionable red bandana he's wearing.

Dane said...

for a second I could not figure out what ESL meant!

Gabriel Florit said...

extra-sensory licking.

Anonymous said...

gross

Margaret said...

english as a second langauge. ah, I forget to explain the education jargon

Margaret said...

Gabe, I'm going to ignore your comment.