Monday, March 31, 2008

faith leaps, etc

Well. Since people are starting to ask, I guess I can share our latest news on here. I had an interview last week with a school, but they decided to offer the contract to someone else. I'm their second choice, so if that person says no, I can have the job. The principal said something about having cake and eating it too.

So then we had to decide what to do next year because it seems like our options here are limited, especially since Scott wants to get a B.A. in graphic design and the place where he's currently going doesn't offer it. The Christian University down the road does, but their tuition is extremely expensive and we don't qualify for Canada Student Loans (apparently I make too much and our car is worth too much. I didn't realize that we were so rich.) And there's no way we could afford to pay for the tuition on my salary alone. So . . . what to do. There's also the fact that the housing market here is rising steeply right now, and if we want to get in in the next years, we need to buy NOW. But we could only afford a 1-2 bedroom condo built in the '70's. . . .

So I emailed my parents, and they brought a proposal: live with them! It hadn't crossed my mind. There must be a reason that they bought a bigger house! So. We've decided. We're moving to Sioux Center this summer. We'll live in my parents' spacious basement (complete with a fireplace) until I find something more permanent. I'm thinking that I'll sub for a while, and hopefully something will turn up mid-year. I'll also apply to some of the public schools in the area because they seem to be hiring right now. And we'll see what happens.

It was a strangely easy decision, and I think that it will be a good one for us. Scott will get to do what he wants, I'll have a more flexible schedule if I'm subbing, while still doing what I want, and eventually we'll be able to go wherever we want because we'll both have degrees that offer salaries that we can live off of while the other person finds work.

I never thought that I'd be moving back to the mid-west, though. That part is strange.

5 comments:

Kayler said...

I am so excited that you will be so close!!
Congrats again!! I can't say that we will help you move (6 month old...) but we will come visit when Elliott is older!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...

You're moving back to good ol' S.C.--wow! It sounds like a good decision. I am going to miss having you in close proximity, though!
I just got back into town, so we should catch up soon. Yes, that would be good.

Amanda said...

wow! whodathunkit?
good luck finding jobs and stuff.
so is scott gonna be going to dordt then?

Andrea said...

Oooh...lucky! Although it was snowing there last week! :(