Sunday, September 18, 2005

get thee to a nunnery!

Sara and I slept over at her friend who goes to Trinity Western University Kristen's house on Friday. In the morning we went garage sailing. I restrained myself--although there were many enticing deals--to two compact discs for a dolla each. The first is Joan Baez, and the second The Mission sound track. So far I am pleased with both purchases. Any other Joan Baez fans out there? One of my favorite songs is one on which she manages to sound frighteningly like Bob Dylan on the last verse.

Sara and I had our monastic experience at the Westminster Abby Seminary of Christ the King monastery yesterday. Actually, it was a little less than monastic, although we did talk to Father Basil who knew about Dordt. Anyone else know someone by the last name of Maas who lives in Seattle? He went to Dordt and knows Father Basil. It was a less than monastic experience for several reasons. First, there was a wedding party up there having their wedding pictures taken--with a fire truck!? Not sure about that one. So they were traipsing around in their finery and frippery, posing for photographs and the like. Second, the monks were working on re-finishing the floor of the cathedral, so there was lots of scraping and noise making in there. Not quite as peaceful as I remember it being. And in general there were a lot of people there, walking around. But it was still good to be up there, especially getting to talk to this Father Basil fellow (anyone ever read Brian Jaques? Basil the Hare is one of my favorite characters) and there's a quite amazing view too. Maybe I'll go back on a less busy day when they're finished the floor.

I'm almost ready for teaching tomorrow--I just need to prepare a few props and things. On Friday two of my students came to class and told me that they'd finished the book already. I was a little surprised, but quite pleased. They were given The Kite Runner on Tuesday, and it's a 370 page book, so they must have spent quite a bit of time reading. One of the students is ESL, too. I was proud of my little english geeks--I was one of those too. I hated being assigned to read only a certain amount of pages when I just wanted to read the whole thing. The good thing about them finishing the book already, is that it gives those with a bit of a competitive spirit a little push to finish too, and makes it a little more cool to do your homework. Let's hear it for possitive peer pressure!

3 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

I knew a Kevin Maas... but that was years ago.. and I have no idea where he is now...

any mouse said...

My moms side of the family is Maas but I don't know about Seatle.

Margaret said...

Is Kevin Maas about 40? Father Basil said that the Maas he knows is about 40. He told us his first name too, but I forget.