The public school teachers are on strike right now. An unfortunate situation, as I see it. They're protesting being forced to sign contracts that will not allow wage increases. They also want to reduce large class sizes. I think of the students in grade 12 who will be applying for university soon, and the parents of kids too young to stay home alone that will now need to find childcare.
Gabe asked why I like teachers' conventions. I like teachers' conventions because there are so many like minded people there. People who have committed their lives to education, and in the spirit of sharing which pervades education, have come together to share their ideas. It's a place where idealism for teaching students to be socially conscious people abounds. I'm a sucker for idealism because I'm young and like to think I can change the world. I also got to see a whole bunch of people I know.
Back in Iowa it's tri-state I think. I like to think fondly back on past tri-states. The year we went camping, the years we went to Chicago. Fall seems a good time to have a break.
No comments:
Post a Comment